- Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, McMaster University
- Division Member of Rheumatology, McMaster University
- Associate Member of Health Research Methods, Evidence, and Impact (HEI), McMaster University
- Geriatrician, Hamilton Health Sciences
- Executive Director and Clinician Scientist, GERAS Centre for Aging Research
Dr. Alexandra Papaioannou is a Professor of Medicine (Division of Geriatrics) at McMaster University, a Geriatric Medicine Specialist at Hamilton Health Sciences and Executive Scientific Director of the GERAS Centre for Aging Research. She holds an Eli Lilly Research Chair at McMaster University and is the past Director of the Division of Geriatric Medicine. Dr. Papaioannou is an Associate Member in the Department of Health Research Methods, Evidence and Impact, and a faculty member in the Medical Sciences, Physiology & Pharmacology Graduate Studies Program. She is a member of the McMaster Institute for Research on Aging (MIRA) Executive Committee and past member of the Gilbrea Centre Advisory Board.
Selected awards for research excellence and leadership:
- Ronald Cape Distinguished Service Award for outstanding contributions to the health care of older adults in Canada awarded by the Canadian Geriatrics Society,
- Service Award for Geriatric Excellence (SAGE) for Executive/Senior Leadership awarded by the Regional Geriatric Program central (RGPc) for excellence in geriatric care,
- McMaster Department of Medicine Teaching Award for Postgraduate Teaching and Ontario College of Family Physicians Certificate of Recognition for outstanding contributions to primary care,
- YWCA Hamilton Women of Distinction Award for Health & Wellness for leadership and being an agent for change in health and wellness,
- Lindy Fraser Award from Osteoporosis Canada for outstanding contributions to the field of osteoporosis research and education in Canada.